Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Why You Should Consider Going Back to School


I was pregnant with my first child when we moved to Charlotte, NC, for my husband to begin his pediatric practice with a large multispecialty group.  I had been teaching high school English for four years.

I wasn’t known in this new community, so it wasn’t going to be easy for me to return to teaching after my children were born.  I tried many activities: medical wives auxiliary, symphony women, book club and golf.  Nothing satisfied me until I decided to audit a graduate course in the religious department of the University of North Carolina-Charlotte called The Meaning of Death.  After three months of intense reading and writing papers, I realized: This is what makes me happy.  I love a syllabus in September.

I decided to take a course in the English department and apply for graduate school, just in case I decided to continue.

As ACPE’s career counselor, I talk to doctors who know exactly why they want a business master’s degree, but I also talk to others who are just restless and don’t know exactly what they want to do.  I’ll suggest that they take ACPE’s Physician in Management course and see if they get turned on.  Many do.

I took one class every semester for five years and got a MA in English.  It enriched my life and it opened doors I could not have imagined when I started that first course. 

Maybe taking a course or enrolling in a business masters program would add adventure to your life in unexpected ways. 

1 comment:

  1. Hi
    Barbara Linney

    age and time does not matter we can get knowledge in every time and in any age..

    TOEIC vocabulary flashcards

    ReplyDelete